Welcome to Messiah Lutheran Church!
Located at the corner of West Southern Avenue and Howard Street in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania, a small community nestled in the foothills of the beautiful Allegheny mountains, Messiah Lutheran church is a large congregation of the Upper Susquehanna Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Whether you live in the area, are traveling through, or planning to relocate in north central Pennsylvania, it would be our joy to have you worship with us.
Vacation Bible School: June 10-14
Messiah Lutheran Preschool
Now Taking Registrations for the 2013-14 School Year
For more information about our preschool, click here.
Happy Birthday to USS!
The Upper Susquehanna Synod is 25, born on January 1, 1988, the same day as the ELCA was formed. Congregations and individuals are invited to help USS celebrate in several ways:
- Collect quarters (25-cent pieces), to be designated for ELCA World Hunger through the Good Gifts program, providing livestock and tools to help a family escape the cycle of poverty and hunger for good.
- “Blast on the Grass” Outdoor Music Festival, Friday, June 14. 6:00 pm, on the campus of Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove. Performers include Hannah Bingman, Van Wagner, and Stained Grass Window. Free and open to the public; bring a lawn chair. A Pig Roast ($10) precedes the concert. Reservations are required for the meal through the Synod office, 524-9778 or office@USS-elca.org
- “Equipping Workshops” at Synod Assembly, June 14-15, for congregational leaders and members. A preliminary listing with more information to follow includes:
- Yours, Mine, Ours- which ministries are possible for lay persons to lead, which are best pastor-led, and which could be co-led
- Leading your congregation through the maze of health-care reform for pastors and staff
- Serving as a lay assistant , communion assistant
- Creative and effective welcoming and hospitality
- Building relationships with “the missing”- young adults
- Leading a Bible study that speaks to people’s everyday lives
- Staying on top of church budgets and finance
- “Woven Together in Christ”, synod weaving project emphasizing this year’s assembly theme. Messiah’s part in this has been completed. The finished piece will measure 13×21 feet, and will hang behind the altar for worship at the assembly.
God loves you . . . serve Him faithfully, serve Him well!